Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Εducation and Positions
BSc. in Biology, Univ. of Patras 1991
PhD in Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Univ. of Patras 1996
Postdocoral research associate. Yale University, USA 1998-2002
Assistant Prof. of Biochemistry, Dept. of Biochemistry & Biotechnology, Univ. of Thessaly 2002-2009
Functional genomic analysis of enzymes that are involved in the biogenesis and aminoacylation of tRNAs in pathogens
tRNA-dependent exo-ribosomal peptide biosynthesis in pathogens. Detection of new molecular targets for antibiotics
Studies on La protein as regulator of tRNA and rRNA biogenesis
Detection and biochemical characterization of mitochondrial tRNA mutations that are associated with severe clinical phenotypes in human populations
tRNA-dependent regulation through riboswitches
Studies on the activities and regulation of mRNA turnover through deadenylation
1. Stathopoulos C., Li T., Longman R., Vothknecht U.C., Becker H.D., Ibba M. and Söll D. (2000). One polypeptide with two aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase activities. Science 287: 479-482.
2. Kamtekar S., Kennedy D.W., Wang J., Stathopoulos C., Söll D. and Steitz, T.A. (2003) The structural basis of cysteine aminoacylation of tRNAPro by prolyl-tRNA synthetases Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100: 1673-1678.
3. Korencic D., Ahel I., Schelert J., Sacher M., Ruan B., Stathopoulos C., Blum P., Ibba, M. and Söll D. (2004) A freestanding proofreading domain is required for protein synthesis quality control in archaea. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101: 10260-10265.
4. Bailly M., Giannouli S., Blaise M., Stathopoulos C., Kern D and Becker H. D. (2006) A single tRNA base-pair mediates bacterial tRNA-dependent biosynthesis of asparargine. Nucleic Acids Res. 34: 6083-6094.
5. Balatsos N. A. A., Vlachakis D., Maragozidis P., Manta S., Anastasakis D., Kyritsis A., Vlassi M., Komiotis D. and Stathopoulos C. (2009) Synthetic purine and pyrimidine nucleotide analogues with anti-cancer activity inhibit human poly(A) specific ribonuclease (PARN). Biochemistry 48: 6044-6051.
Download in pdf format